New School Campus & Modernization
Blach was selected to manage the construction of five elementary school modernization projects and several other district projects in mid-construction in 2002.
The program won community-wide acclaim including many design, sustainability and school industry awards.
New School Campus - In 2008, the District asked Blach to return and perform an additional $11.5 million worth of work to rebuild the Bullis School, which had been closed since 2005.
The complete rebuild of the school and site, including all utilities and most surface improvements, was performed under a lease-leaseback approach and completed in August of 2008. This project also utilized the CHPS Program and diverted 90% of the construction waste from landfills.
Campus Modernization - Five of the elementary school modernization projects were completed under the Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS) Program.
The two projects completed as part of the previous construction program were designed to only meet Title 24 minimum standards. Each of the five CHPS schools has realized a nearly 50% reduction in electrical use over the non-CHPS schools. The District has saved more than $200,000 in operating costs each year (for five schools) and saved 1500 tons of CO2.