Marine Laboratory Renovation
Blach Construction was selected to perform preconstruction services for the renovation of the second floor of a 10,000 s.f. marine biology laboratory in the Jacques Loeb Laboratory Building.
Included in the scope are HVAC replacements, new staff offices, teaching areas and an adjacent study area for students. Due to an active site and project visibility, Blach worked closely with the university to provide solutions and alternatives to mitigate the potential issues caused by the project.
Due to the success of the first renovation, Blach was selected to complete a design-build renovation of the first floor of the same laboratory building with HGHB Architects in early 2012.
The scope includes the renovation of 15 laboratories with conversion of walls, reallocation of space, new floors, new conference rooms, new casework, new ceilings and new lighting.
The Hopkins Marine Station is located 90 miles from the main University campus and was founded in 1892 as the first marine laboratory on the west coast of North America. The modern laboratory facilities on the 11-acre campus on Cabrillo Point house ten faculty, all of whom are members of the Department of Biology.