Building Success across Industries
and Project Type
Whether we’re building from the ground up or renovating existing space, Blach delivers. Working closely with our customers, we examine each project holistically, identifying the best building techniques and approaches and putting the right team in place to bring every concept to life. The result: a portfolio that speaks volumes.
A 21st Century Learning Space
With the Workday Student Center, Monte Vista High School created a bold environment that leverages the latest thinking in social spaces design to support student learning. This modern, indoor/outdoor design involved six different exterior skin systems and extensive virtual modeling to ensure a smooth, efficient construction process on an active campus.
- 18,500 sq. ft. facility
- Designed for 21st century learning
- New library and multimedia center
- 4 study/collaboration rooms
- Café and student store
- Meeting rooms and open lounge areas
- Virtual modeling for complete MEP accommodation
An Experiential Space for an Institutional Icon
Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Bechtel Family Center for Ocean Education and Leadership is an experiential learning space that inspires the conservation of our oceans. Highly sustainable, the project required the expertise of Blach’s virtual design and construction and in-house MEP teams to coordinate the building’s complex aquatic life systems support infrastructure.
- 25,500 sq. ft. building
- Design-Build with Mark Cavagnero Associates
- Educational spaces for < 100,000 visitors/year
- 4 STEM learning labs with eight 200-gallon saltwater tanks
- Living, sustainable rooftop event space
- Collaborative office and meeting spaces
- Extensive MEP and virtual design and construction coordination
- Expected LEED Gold rating
Retrofit and Refresh in Downtown San Jose
Funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for seismic retrofit and upgrades enabled a complete refresh of the Casa Del Pueblo in Downtown San Jose. This mixed-use building features first-floor commercial space topped by 165-units of senior housing. Closely coordinating with the City of San Jose, Blach breathed new life into Casa Del Pueblo with contemporary interior fixtures and finishes, exterior event space and architectural finishes.
- 12,587 sq.ft. of mixed-use space
- 165 apartments and first-floor offices and multi-purpose rooms
- Floor-by-floor release with tight turnarounds
- Seismic retrofits and upgrades
- Complete interior remodel
- Exterior finish renovation
Large-Scale Transit-Oriented Development
Gateway at Millbrae Station (GMS) is one of the largest transit-oriented developments (TOD) in California. More than a decade in the making, GMS is adjacent to the highly trafficked Millbrae BART, CalTrain and SamTrans Station and encompasses five projects on a single site. Upon completion, GMS will provide essential market-rate and affordable Bay Area housing, much-desired amenities and will create more than 1,100 new jobs for local residents. Constructed as a joint venture with Cahill Contractors, Blach is proud to provide the City of Millbrae with:
- 300 market-rate apartments
- 100 affordable apartments, 80 of which are Veteran-preferred
- A 164- room Marriott Residence Inn
- 150,000 sq.ft. of Class-A office space
- 44,000 sq.ft. of ground-floor retail and restaurant
- New public open spaces, plazas, pedestrian/bike paths and dog park
A Bold, New Look in Biomedical
When a Menlo Park-based biomedical firm wanted to refresh its offices and warehouse, Blach upgraded the facilities to reflect the growth and success of the firm, delivering critical amenities within the structural confines of the space.
- Update of 57,000 sq. ft.
- New lobby, mezzanine, All-Hands space and gym
- Updated shipping and receiving
- Micro-kitchen addition
- Expanded conference rooms
- Extensive MEP coordination